Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 31st Opening of Split Screen Exhibits: Selavy Oh and Kolor Fall

Visit here: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Beleza/6/128/22 direct link here: SplitScreenHere.

"Inverted Paths" by Kolor Fall
(Inverted Paths)

"Split Screen will have an opening party *this Sunday* for its newest installations: "Random Walk" by Selavy Oh, and "Inverted Paths" by Kolor Fall. The installations open to the public on Sunday, 31 July, and run through 31 Aug. >>> OPENING PARTY <<< will be Sunday, 31 July, at 2:00 PM SLT. The DJ will be the fantastic Isabelle Mavendorf" states curator Dividni Shostakovich.

July 31st opens the Split Screen exhibits "Random Walk" by Selavy Oh and "Inverted Paths" by Kolor Fall. Miso Susanowa still has "Time as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones" on the sky platform as well. (See prior blog post with machinima)
"Random Walk" by Selavy Oh
(Random Walk)
I dropped into Split Screen early to chat with Divi and have a sneak peek before the official opening on July 31st. The only problem with coming early is that the note cards are not available yet and Kolor's works are sometimes deep, often mathematical, and have meanings I don't always easily understand without him explaining what he is intending. From what I could see Kolor's "Inverted Paths" is a darker area of shapes that to me resemble some sorts of sea life, inverted 3d triangles, bubbles, and parts that seem to follow me when I walk. It does look cool and I guess it's ok to run around in it as it's parts move all over and his works are usually designed like that to play in. Selavy's "Random Walk" on the other hand is a light area in the air, of "continuously changing algorithmic installation belonging to a series of permutative spatiotemporal works. visitors can actively influence the evolution of the installation by flying through it or can incorporate the avatar into the work by 'sitting' on one of the elements." V2 with shadows is recommended but I just can't bear it so I apologize if my photo is not up to snuff really. It still looked cool to me on Phoenix. OK, so that was a direct quote from Selavy's blog about it. I assume Kolor's would sound similar. To me that means its fun to play in, stuff moves around you and kind of interacts with you. Yeah I admit my explanation is like the "Art appreciation for Dummies" blog. But hey, it works for me. At any rate these two exhibits are very cool and fun so check them out when you get a chance.
Split Screen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sneak peek, Kara! Looking forward to the opening party later today and exploring more!

    ReplyDelete